Friday, November 27, 2009



Holy shit. I don't know where to start. 2 days since I've blogged and I feel like I will surely miss a lot of stuff. And the end of this Thanksgiving day was hell. Oh well, I'll get to that.
25-Nov-2009
Where were we. Oh yea, I must've been in Honduras. We got up early and headed northeast so we could go south again. More crazy mountain roads and beautiful scenery. This time the curve ball thrown at us was major road construction. They actually have road equipment it this country. This is not the sane, safe, albeit somewhat frustrating kind of road construction that we have in the US. This is free for all road construction. Pass any way you can, go around the barracades, just get back in the safe zone before you hit anyone or fall off a cliff cause the road already did. Kinda cool, and scary as hell sometimes. The motorcycles make this a lot easier. I think this kind of driving would be really frustrating in a car. To many trucks, too many hills, too much craziness. The bikes let us get out of trouble or around people fast. I really cannot adequately describe this type of driving. It truly is a free for all. I have had 3 cars coming at me on a 2 lane hiway. I have started to pass and had the guy in front of (actually beside of) me decide to pass, so now there's 3 vehicles side by side on a 2 lane road. And not the safe, sane kind of 2 lane roads like we have, ya know, with shoulders and stuff, maybe a flat place if you get off the shoulder. No. The edge of the road usually meets at least a 2 foot deep ditch (sometimes 20') or for fun they put concrete posts right at the edge of the road. I call them "leg removal devices". Oh, and the road construction. Ya know how we have all these fluffy things to hit, cones, barrels, water barriers, etc., they use things like boulders, 4' trenches, trees, trucks, anything they can find. Its cool. But Honduras is the first place we have actually had to stop for construction, first time the whole trip. The other countries just do everything by hand and pretty much let thier guys dodge traffic to fix potholes, etc. Anyway, Honduras was fun for all the above reasons. We spent the night in Danli, to get ready for an early border crossing in Nicaragua.

No comments:

Post a Comment