Friday, November 13, 2009

13-Nov-2009 2166 Miles

It is only our 4th day in Mexico. That seems hard to believe. I feel like we have seen so much already and come so far. We are in this pretty busy, not so little, town of Huejutla De Reyes. I never heard of it before today. It is a great place with nice people and a cool 500 year old spanish mission. I haven't gotten any pictures of it yet because it was dark when we got here.
And what a day it was. We only covered 250 miles or so today but it feels like a lot more. The entire road from San Luis Potosi to here was tight twisty mountain roads that were just fun. We stopped for a few breaks and were just grinning from ear to ear at every stop. I cannot think of a place in the US that you could have this much fun on a motorcyle. At one stop, Nick asked me how many tickets I thought we might have accumulated today. I can't say, but it would have been several. Somewhere along the way, the whole climate changed drastically, from slightly desert mountains to suddenly tropical. We were riding under the canopy sometimes, out in the open others, it was great. The last 60 miles or so got kinda tough because we were tired and there was a lot of gravel on the road which slowed down our progress. I think I talked about the speed bumps before, well now they don't bother to post warnings or speed limit signs, just speed bumps. I think I've hit enough of them at 70 now to know that some are worse than others, from little bumps to a launch ramp that would make Evel Knevel proud. Fortunately the bike is tough, tougher than the rider. I hurt tonight. We didn't make it to the coast tonight because we decided to stay inland for these mountain roads. We will be on the Gulf Coast tomorrow for sure. We rode through Green River, MX(Rio Verde). It's not quite the same as our Green River, about the same population though.
I can't say enough about this part of Mexico we are seeing. It is so far removed from news stories, border towns or resorts. I don't see these people as poor in any way that matters. They are happy and seem to be living a good life.

The pic of Nick is Nick's roadside capuccino bar. LC was good today. He just kicked back and enjoyed the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment