Thursday, February 4, 2010







4-Feb-2010 12894 Miles


Well, we are back in Argentina. Oh yeah, you thought I was still in Argentina. Well, your right, I was. But we went back into Chile, then back into Argentina. Look at a map. You'll understand. Fortunately for me, Nick never looks at the map either. But I think he finally figured out that we were going to be between Chile and Argentina a few times. Easy border crossings though. This is the first time that we have done 2 in 1 day. Plus all the miles we covered.


Rio Grande, Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina. Holy shit, Tierra Del Fuego, amazing. 450 miles today, 100 miles of that in the dirt, 2 border crossings, the winds gave us a little break today but were in the 30 to 60 mph range, temps in the 40's, dang cold. I am so excited to be here I don't even care that it's cold. It's 1:30 in the morning and I'm still pumped up.


We took a ferry from the mainland to the island of Tierra Del Fuego across the Straights of Magellen. El Mundo Final is close. Speaking of Magellen, a great explorer, no doubt, but obviously a dull fella. He named this place, Tierra del Humo(Land of Smoke), cause of all the native indian fires created a lot of smoke over the island. It was Charles the 5th, obviously the more creative spirit, that declared "there is no smoke without fire" and renamed the place Tierra del Fuego(land of fire). The new name certainly stirs the soul.


I have been told that I have way too much time to think(thanks, Deanna). So yeah, if I put down everything that has gone through my head while riding down the road everyone would think I had gone nuts. So I'm keeping a large part of that to myself. My book on politics and the new world order will be coming out soon. Taking deposits now.


Furry and feather critters. The large mammals are, I don't know. If you do, please let me know. They are as big as an elk. The did not like the sound or frequency of my bike. They totally ignored cars, trucks, Nick's bike, but they would freak out over mine. I don't know what the feathered critters are either, but if you do, let me know. All I know for sure is that if I lived in this windy place I would be a flightless bird too.


El Mundo Final manana.

3 comments:

  1. hi mark and nick,the name the big animal is guanaco and the bird is nandu, good luck ...polita - donn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! What an amazing adventure. Thanks for the blog and pics. Looking forward to our conversation Saturday morning.

    Skycall Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miles and miles of riding a bike and you want to act like your flying, good place to have your thoughts. B.E.B.s ?

    ReplyDelete