Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I better get back into the writing. A lot has happened, of course, and I am back in snowbound Utah. I had a great Christmas and am looking forward to celebrating the New Year at the Newby's cabin with Megan and Deanna and doing a little snowmobiling. How can it get any better than that. Then back to SA on the 3rd to play with some business deals in Ecuador and Southbound again.
21-Dec-2009
OK. I hope you all believe in star alignment when it comes to life, because I can't explain today any other way. We went back to a little town after making it to Quito and thought we might find a place there to leave my bike. We met a British couple that were very nice there and were trying to help us but it just wasn't working out. So we headed to Quito again.

BTW, we crossed the equator in doing this and had to celebrate. The one pic is of me pouring beer on the bike to christen it into a new hemisphere while chanting, "Equator virgin, no more". I also got beer poured on me with the same chant. Huge milestone. From here the days get longer as we head into the summer of a new land.

Anyway, back to Quito. Quito is about a 10,000 foot elevation city of 2 million people, not a small place. Nick had had his oil seal shipped to Quito and we had to find it. The address was long and we asked directions several times. I'm a little stressed cause my flight was supposed to leave that night. Just as I am thinking that this could take all day, Nick slams on his brakes and pulls over. I stop too and we are standing underneath the sign for the company that his seal was shipped to. Just as I am getting over that stroke of luck a guy stops, speaking very good English, and tells us that he has traveled by motorcycle quite a bit and has a bike shop close by in Quito and he would love help us in anyway he can. I felt like the stars had aligned and all would be well. But it gets better.

His name is Diego Salvador, phone 099702166, diego_s_@hotmail.com. If you are ever traveling in Quito give this guy a call. He is awesome. We followed him to his shop and over the next few hours he had his mom bring us lunch, had our bikes cleaned(cause we shouldn't be riding BMW's that looked like that), we arranged for some repairs, storage, etc. He even offered to have our riding gear washed. He has a shop where they are building custom panniers like are on my bike for people. He said he would take my bent up boxes and straighten them out again also. I can't say enough about this guy. I don't think he fully understands how great his help was to us at this point in our journeys.

My flight was supposed to leave about midnight but got cancelled at about 4am for weather at Quito. The delay allowed us to meet someone who wants us to start a flying biz in Ecuador and it may be worth it. We'll see. I left Nick to work with her till I get back and they are going to fly us into one of the Eco lodges in the jungle. Should be interesting. I will blog some more after I get back to Ecuador and on our way again. In the meantime, enjoy the pics.





























































































































1 comment:

  1. Mark, it's nice to read the update in your blog! The pics are great. We look forward to hearing from you on 1/9/2010 on KSL Outdoors. Have a great new year!

    Russ

    ReplyDelete